There aren’t many singers still alive or rock bands still together that I currently have on my bucket list to see live in concert but Reginald Kenneth Dwight was definitely on the top of the list. So having a great seat at last night’s concert at Rogers Arena in Vancouver was awesome!
I had already graduated from high school when Reggie cut his first album in 1969 and one of the songs from that album is still my all-time favourite. He has had many hit songs over the past 5 decades:
- (more than fifty Top 40 hits, including seven consecutive No. 1 US albums,
- fifty-eight Billboard Top 40 singles,
- twenty-seven Top 10, four No. 2, and nine No. 1 hits
- For 31 consecutive years he has had at least one song in the Billboard Hot 100.
- He has the most No. 1 hits on the US Adult Contemporary Chart (16 No. 1’s).
- One of his singles sold over 33 million copies worldwide and it’s the best selling single of all time.
He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1994 and he received a knighthood from the Queen in 1998.
So I was pretty excited to finally see this legend perform last night and it was one of the Top 10 concerts that I have ever attended (Eagles, Van Morrison, Mark Knopfler, Marvin Gaye, Beach Boys, Bob Seger, Cher, Lady Gaga, and Bruno Mars are also included on that list). He played for more than 2 hours and for those 2 hours many of the fans remained on their feet – myself included.
But the biggest difference between Reginald Kenneth Dwight’s concerts and those of other musicians is that nobody in the audience played an “air guitar“. Nope, they were all playing “air pianos” instead! And with this clue, you’ve probably figured out that Reginald Kenneth Dwight is also known as Sir Elton Hercules John.
Here are a few pictures that I took last night… and I’ve also included my favourite Elton John song.
Today’s tune… (click on link to play song)
Photos from last night’s concert (Section 118 Row 1, Seat 1)…