A Last Goodbye

1 0
Read Time30 Minute, 17 Second

In February 2018, I wrote my Chasing a Dream story.

In the story, I announced that I was separated from my wife Annette, after over forty years of being together.

I do not like writing about very personal issues, especially because Annette is a very private person.

However, we decided to stay in the home until the real estate market improved.

It has not been easy for either of us because it is difficult to live separate lives under the same roof.

And neither of us had been seeing anyone – there is no smoking gun – we just needed to move on with our lives.

We both deserve to be happy.

So, now that the real estate market has improved, Annette and I decided to sell the house.

She has plans to move to southern Ontario to be near her sisters.  They have remained close over the years.

My dog Holly and I will remain in British Columbia, while she is still alive.

Although our house has been listed with an agent, the listing wasn’t public until the ‘staging’ and the virtual tour video was completed last weekend.

My experience with real estate agents has not been memorable, and it is probably because two of the best real estate agents are not available.

And both of the agents are my best friends:  Alice Hrehoruk lives in Ontario, and the other is my retired friend Norm Wolff, who retired soon after we met at the cancer center in 2011.

But Brad Richert is a very decent sales agent and he came highly recommended by Rob, my barber.  Annette and I are very comfortable working with Brad.


I have known Alice since high school, and she’s married to Peter, who I met at around the same time.

Danny, Annette, Alice, and Peter (January 20, 1978)

Alice was not only the best real estate who has ever represented us in the six homes we bought and sold over the past forty-three years – she was the person who introduced me to Annette Czechowski in 1976.

In 1975, I ended my partnership with a textile company that I had been involved with since 1973.

I lived in Vancouver since moving there in early 1974, and I loved being involved in business-to-business sales.  Our company sold textiles to retail fabric stores,  and I spent most of the time on the road.

At the time, I was covering all of western Canada and was living out of a suitcase.

I had very little social life and my romantic life consisted of mostly one-night stands, including my only blind date.

I wrote about her in My First Blind Date story.

I decided to leave the partnership and move back to Ontario in 1975.

I drove back through a snowstorm in Rogers Pass, and after another couple of days of driving, I arrived in Ontario.

But I had no job and no place to live.

My furniture was on its way back from BC, and I needed to find a place to live and a new career.

I had no desire to continue in sales, although I loved being a salesman.

I had been in sales both retail and wholesale, and that is all I knew.

But I now wanted to have what my friends and family had – a nine-to-five job and love.

I also wanted to own a home and have a new start in life – but not in Oshawa.

There were too many sad reminders – of past loves and hurts.

So, I decided to live on the other side of Toronto – in Milton, Ontario.

My parents lived in nearby Georgetown, so it was nice to go home often for home-cooked meals.

I found a job working for the Ontario government and made new friends I now worked and played with.

It felt good to be back in Ontario – but I didn’t have love, and I was beginning to feel sorry for myself.

I remember speaking to my Ma on the phone one day about my love life and almost conceding that I would never find another love.

But my mom listened patiently and then softly explained that it is ‘always darkest just before dawn.’

Ma also told me that you couldn’t search for love – if you are worthy, Cupid will find you.

Several days later, I got an unexpected package from Canada Post.

Inside of the package was an envelope that was partly burned.

Apparently, someone had stuffed a burning object in the mailbox where the sender had deposited it, and it burned much of the envelope addressed to me.

Inside was a letter from my friend Peter Hrehoruk.  I still have his letter, but it is stored somewhere in my belongings.

And when I read Peter’s letter, I got excited.  More excited than I had been in years!

Alice and Peter had heard that I had returned to Ontario and wanted to know if I would like to come to Oshawa and spend a weekend at their home.

I don’t remember if I wrote or phoned Alice and Peter, but I remember Alice asking me if I wanted to go on a blind date?

But before she could say another word – I excitedly shouted no!

I had not recovered from my first blind date and my stupid blunder with the word ‘promiscuous.’

If you haven’t already read the My First Blind Date story that I mentioned earlier, it is worth your time to read it.

But Alice was quick to explain that it wouldn’t be a blind date because I already knew the girl.

You know her Danny, she was one of the bridesmaids at our wedding.

I quickly thought back to 1971 when they were married.  They had a large wedding party.

I was an usher; my first wife (Janet D’Angelo) and Annette Czechowski were bridesmaids.

Oh, yes, I remember her.

At the time, Alice and Annette had worked together at the Board of Education.

Alice was an administrative assistant at Central High School in Oshawa, and Annette was the secretary of Vanier Secondary School, also in Oshawa.

But the Annette I remembered was shy and quiet.

And I am the exact opposite.

I also remember her as one of the prettiest girls I had ever known.

And sometime later, I was sitting in the living room at Peter and Alice’s home and chatting with my second blind date.

It was love at first sight.

It may sound corny, but I remember calling my Ma later that weekend and telling her that I had found the girl I wanted to marry!

We started to date and took turns driving back and forth between Milton and Oshawa until we decided to move in together.

I called my cousin Sandra’s husband, Moe Bagan, and asked him if he had any jewelry trade connections.

Moe was also a salesman, and he had a lot of wholesaler connections.

Moe met me at a manufacturer on Spadina Avenue in Toronto. I picked out the diamond (a large solitaire and two smaller diamonds) and designed the two intertwined bands.

It was a beautiful ring, and I couldn’t wait to surprise her with it.

I took the train from Oakville to Ajax and then caught a taxi to Whitby, where Annette and her older sister Wanda lived.

They had legal custody of their four younger brothers and sisters – the youngest was in grade 6.

Annette also had another brother who lived in BC and three other sisters.

Her parents had immigrated to Canada from Poland after WW2.

Her mother’s family had lost their farm and were incarcerated in two different concentration camps – Auschwitz and Dachau – during the war.

Annette and her older sisters were born in Ontario but didn’t learn to speak English until they attended kindergarten.

She and her nine siblings had a very harsh upbringing – with a father deserted them to avoid paying child support and a mother who had remarried and lived in New Brunswick.

Annette and I became like parents to teenagers, and we weren’t much older than the kids we had in our charge.

After accepting my marriage proposal, we drove to Georgetown, Ontario, to share the news with my parents.

150 Delrex Blvd., Georgetown, Ontario

In those days, living together was frowned upon, and I know that my parents disapproved of our decision to live together.

And they also forbade any of us ever to bring a date to spend the night.

But we quickly explained that we had just gotten engaged.

I guess we were trying to legitimize our ‘living in sin.’

We didn’t spend the night there until we were married two years later.

Annette and I got married in a quiet church ceremony with no guests, other than my sister and her husband Brian, a photographer, and two couples:  Alice and Peter; and Larry and Linda Heffering.

We wanted to avoid a wedding cost and chose to use our savings to buy a house instead.

We didn’t tell anybody else about the wedding, and we spent our honeymoon in the Canadiana Motel on Dundas Street.

A couple of weeks later, we moved into our newly built home on Hillcroft Street.

We had her brother Jerry and sister Rene living with us.

Jesse James (1977-1986)

And, of course, Jesse James, our German Shepherd dog.  We got him about a year before we got married.

He was the smartest dog I have ever known.

Nine months after getting married in 1978, I got a job with General Motors of Canada.

The head office is located in Oshawa.

Growing up in a place where the principal employer was GM made me want to work someplace different.

I had always sworn that I would never work for GM, but here I was, working on the assembly line at the truck plant in Oshawa!

Readers and friends might be surprised to learn that I worked on an assembly line.

But I needed a job to pay the mortgage.

I would rather dig ditches than be unemployed.

And I never once lost my pride.

At the time, I was taking university courses because I wanted to become a lawyer.

My first course was from Queens University in Kingston, and the second was a course from Wilfred Laurier University in Kitchener.  Both were done by correspondence.

At around the same time, I wrote my LSAT (law school admittance test) at York University and passed.

I planned to apply to law school as a mature student.

But we would need to sell our home.

That was in June 1982.

The housing market had become very weak because interest rates were approaching 20%, but our friend Alice was now selling real estate part-time, and she agreed to sell our home.

We had just moved to the house on the corner of Colborne and Roxborough the year before.

One day, during a break at work, I went into the foreman’s office and grabbed a GM Directory that he had on his desk.

This directory had all of the internal phone and contact information for its operations in Canada.

I noticed that GM had an office and warehouse in Vancouver, BC.

Annette and I had vacationed in Vancouver the year before, and it is where I wanted us to move eventually.

And she agreed that it would be a great place to live.

I checked the company directory and found Millar Keyes, the national sales manager for the Service, Parts Operations (SPO).

I called him and asked if I could come in to see him discuss a move that I was planning.

Millar agreed and set up an appointment later that day.

I think that Millar had assumed that I was a salaried employee because he was shocked to see me when I arrived in my dirty jeans and workboots.

I thanked him for agreeing to see me and explained that I was planning to move to Vancouver and work at the GM Warehouse there.

I told him that I would be taking evening classes at Simon Fraser University while working during the day and hoped to continue my employment with GM.

Millar indicated he would contact Rick Carr, the zone manager in Vancouver, to discuss my proposal.

A day later, Millar called to say that Rick had agreed to meet with me.

A week later, I flew to Vancouver by myself and stayed at a friend’s place in Burnaby.

Gary Kennedy was a friend of mine from Whitby, who had moved to Vancouver in the late ’70s.

Gary lent me his Jeep to drive to my job interview.

But when I drove to the GM Regional Office on Terminal Avenue, I parked the Jeep about three blocks away from the office.

It wouldn’t be too smart to show up at GM in a competitor’s vehicle!

The interview went well, and I was on my way home to Oshawa the next day.

In a follow-up telephone conversation, Rick indicated that I would have a job when I arrived in Vancouver.

But he said that the move to Vancouver would have to be at my expense because I was an hourly employee and the warehouse job was a salary position.

So, I would have to resign from GM and get hired as a salaried employee when I began working in Vancouver.

But first, we had to sell our house.

We called Alice to list our home.

A few days later, Alice brought a buyer in to see our home, and we sold it the same day!

That was because of Alice’s extraordinary sales ability.

The most successful salespeople in the world are the ones who enjoy being around people.

Alice has one of the most beautiful smiles and a sparkle in her eyes that makes you feel so comfortable.

Alice was doing so well selling real estate, she quit her job at the school and began selling full time.

She became one of the top-selling real estate sales agents in Durham Region – and most of her business was ‘word-of-mouth’ from her previous customers.

They live in Cobourg, but Alice is still active in real estate and has her daughter Carly working with her.  Their son Bobby lives in Toronto.

One day, I will write more about Alice and Peter.


We had all of our belonging packed and shipped to Vancouver.

When we arrived that first weekend in July 1982, we were excited at the prospect of living in paradise.

And there was just the two of us now.

We spent the weekend searching for a place to live.  We didn’t have a lot of money – because we sold our house at the wrong time.

And interest rates were so high; homeowners were walking away from their homes when it was time to renew their mortgages.

But on the following Monday morning, I got some pretty bad news that shocked me and left me with a sick feeling in my stomach!

Oh my God, what have I done? 

My early morning phone call to Rick Carr, the zone manager, left me shaking with fear.

Rick explained that GM was having difficulty selling vehicles because of the low economy and high-interest rates.

He also said that GM had just announced a ‘hiring freeze’ and he would no longer be able to hire me!

He apologized but said that it was beyond his control.

And although I was angry that his promise of a job was now rescinded, I was more concerned with how Annette and I would survive without jobs or a place to stay.

We stayed at the Abercorn Hotel in Richmond, and I remember that we were renting a vehicle.

We had sold our vehicle in Oshawa to avoid the cost of shipping it here.

We couldn’t apply for unemployment benefits because we had both quit our jobs.

If you are terminated or laid off from your employment, the waiting period was two weeks before receiving your first cheque.

However, if you resigned from your employment – the waiting period was twelve weeks!

We both started looking for employment on that Monday.

But I continued to call Rick every week to see if the employment freeze had been lifted.

In mid-August, I think that I finally got word that I would be hired as a temporary employee – with no benefits.

GM was doing what many companies had started:  hiring temporary employees from employment agencies instead of hiring full-time employees.

I worked for $5 an hour and no benefits.

But Annette got a job as the personal secretary to the Dean of Dentistry at the University of British Columbia.  She later worked with the Terry Fox Foundation and then the Pulp and Paper Industrial Relations Bureau.

In 1988, after almost six years working as a temporary employee, GM hired me as a full-time employee!  I worked in the warehouse and on the order desk.  I also was awarded a $10,000 Suggestion Award that year from the company for one of my suggestions.

We used that money and our savings to purchase a house in North Vancouver.  I also bought an interest in a used 26 foot San Juan sailboat with two of my friends from the Jericho Sailing Centre.

With sister Leslie on my sailboat (1988)

In 1989, I promoted the district manager’s role, but it was in the Maritimes!  I would be responsible for contacting ACDelco distributors in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland/Labrador.

It meant that we would be moving to the other coast of Canada, but at least this time, GM was paying all of the expenses related to the move and selling our house.

It also meant that Annette would have to leave another job she loved.

It also meant leaving the many friends we both had made while living in Vancouver.

But before leaving for the east coast, my current supervisor suggested that I phone my new boss at the Atlantic Region office and tell him that I was happy to be coming to the Maritimes.

When I called my new boss that day, here’s how I remember the conversation:

Hello, George, I am Dan St. Andrews and I just wanted to tell you that I am really  excited about coming to the east coast and working for you!

But I wasn’t prepared for his answer:

Yeah, well you weren’t my first choice, so quit trying to suck up to me!

I was speechless!  Oh my God, who is this person, I thought?

There isn’t a soul on this Earth that can say that I have ever ‘sucked’ up to anyone!  Ever!

I swallowed hard and got tongue-tied.

I have never been at a loss for words, but this was almost beyond belief.

Where did this guy come from – the ’50s?

That weekend, I attended a regional meeting in Kelowna.

It was my last weekend in a beautiful British Columbia.

I flew to Moncton from Kelowna on that Sunday afternoon.

At the time, I was wearing a pair of white shorts, a blue t-shirt from Hawaii, and a couple of flip-flops on my feet.

That same weekend, there was a riot at Tiananmen Square in China.

We always remember where we were, when significant events happen.

From Kelowna, the flight stopped in Calgary, Toronto, and then finally, at almost midnight, we landed in Moncton, New Brunswick.

I was exhausted from the long day but happy that I was finally in Moncton,

While I waited for my luggage, I started to worry about meeting George, my new boss.

After the last suitcase landed on the carousel, a bell began to ring that indicated all of the luggage had been unloaded.

But none of my suitcases were there!

I quickly ran to the baggage claim counter and spoke to the Air Canada clerk.

After checking his computer, he indicated that my luggage was still in Toronto, but it would arrive on the first flight from Toronto – at Noon.

Now the terror began to creep up my back, and my initial impulse was to start yelling and screaming at the clerk.

But it wasn’t the clerk’s fault.

So, I flagged a taxi as the airport was closing for the night.

When I got to the hotel, I asked the front desk if they had a toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving cream, razor, and a comb for my hair?

It was 1:00 am, and nothing is open at that time of night, but the clerk could find me a razor and a comb.

When I got to my room, I took off my clothes and fell fast asleep.

Soon, the wake-up call woke me, and I took a quick shower.

I put on my shorts, t-shirt, and flip-flops and looked at myself in the mirror.

Aside from the wrinkled shorts and the coffee stains on the t-shirt, I at least looked rested.

I waited until 8:00 am and then called my new boss to tell him that the airline had lost my luggage but that it would be arriving at Noon.

Could I wait until later that day before coming to the office?

But George said no, just come as you are.

I told him I would take a taxi to the office and would see him shortly.

I took a deep breath and tried to convince myself that George probably didn’t mean it when he had said that it wasn’t his choice for me to be the district manager.

But the drive to the GM office was short, and soon I was standing outside George’s office.

I tried to swallow and brace myself for whatever kind of reception I was going to get.

And then I knocked on the open door and walked into his office.

I was about to say hello, but George beat me to it.

I wondered if I had been wrong in my initial assessment of him.

Maybe, he’s nice after all?

George escorted me around the office, introducing him to the other managers, order desk personnel, and administrative assistants.

Here is how I was introduced:

This is Dan St. Andrews, the district manager for Nova Scotia, Newfoundland/Labrador.

And then, with a chuckle, he continued:

This is how the staff in Vancouver dress for work!

I enjoy a joke as much as any person, but not when making fun of someone.


I worked from my home in Bedford, Nova Scotia.

It was our second brand new home.

We selected the flooring, paint colors, etc.

I would be working from home.

Ironically, I was going to be back to traveling a lot.  But at least I wasn’t on commission.

I had to cover a lot of the territory each month, including monthly flights to Newfoundland/Labrador and long drives to Cape Breton Island.

But I had lots of experience being on the road from my days in the textile industry.

Annette got a job as the office manager of AIDS Nova Scotia.  This was an organization that offered education and support for people with AIDS.

She loved her job and the people really treated her well.

I remember on a business trip to Newfoundland, I was with Don Goring, from GM Financial.  One of our distributors was in financial difficulty and he had flown from head office to meet with the distributor’s general manager.

That night, we were sitting together in the bar and I told Don that I had had a disagreement with my wife before I had left and it was about her job.

She had asked me to go to a house warming party for her boss and his lover.

I hate to admit this but at the time, I did not feel comfortable being around gay people.  But that was because I didn’t know anybody who was gay.

After explaining this to Don, he abruptly told me I was wrong and that I should have agreed to go with my wife to the house warming party.

And he was right.  I asked him to excuse me while I went to my room to call Annette and apologize and tell him that I would be happy to go to the party with her.

Annette was pleased and replied that we would only have to stay for a short time – to make an appearance.

Over the next three years, I attended a number of AIDS-related functions with Annette and made some friends in the gay community.

And ever since that night in Newfoundland, I have never spoken badly about gay people.  I have lots of actor friends who are gay and I love them all as much as any of my friends.

I have learned that it is a lot easier to like everyone than it is to have hate or fear in your heart.


In 1992, I was promoted to the Parts and Accessories Sales Manager for Atlantic Canada.

I was now responsible for all of the GM Dealers in the four provinces.

But it meant another move – this time to the regional office in Moncton.

And that meant listing the house in Bedford that we had bought in 1989 and finding a place in Moncton.

Once again, my wife would have to give up a job she loved.

I didn’t have a lot of experience on the GM Dealer side of the business and had to spend countless hours learning the various programs, policies, and procedures.

But I was in a sales environment and that made me happy and productive!


There is quite a difference between the ACDelco Warehouse Distributors and the GM Dealers, and I did a lot of traveling initially to meet all of the dealers and their staff in the four provinces.

But I had had lots of experience living out-of-a-suitcase.

Annette got a job as an administrative assistant at Atlantic Lottery’s head office – which was almost directly across the street from my office at General Motors.

One of the highlights was my involvement in the launch of the Goodwrench Service program in Canada.

Goodwrench was first started in the USA, but Canada didn’t adopt the program until the mid-’90s.

Although my position now required me to be in the office, I still spent much of my time on the road – doing dealer presentations with my district managers to the dealers.

But the launch of Goodwrench was only one of many dealer programs, so I worked long hours and weekends to keep up with both the learning curve and the paperwork.

And having George as my supervisor wasn’t getting any easier.  He treated me like a rag to wipe his feet.

I was getting close to my breaking point, and then it finally came to the surface when I was sitting in my office and speaking with an administrative assistant at head office.

George walked into the doorway and abruptly interrupted my phone conversation with the following outburst:

Who are you talking to?

I tried to cover the phone with my hand to mute what he was saying.

I am talking to Joan at SPO Headquarters about a dealer problem.

I was embarrassed that he had so rudely interrupted my phone conversation.  But he wasn’t finished and the next thing he said was:

Well, get off of the f**king phone; I need to talk to you!

And that’s when it happened.

I had been taking his crap and insults for long enough.

I quickly apologized to Joan and then hung up.

The blood was rushing to my face – I was burning hot, and my hands were shaking because I was so angry and frustrated.

The profanity directed at me wasn’t anything I had ever experienced by an employer before, and I was not going to take it from this jerk or any other!

I quickly got up from my desk and walked across the hall to George’s office.

I planned to grab him by the shirt and either punch him in the face or spit in his face.

But the twenty steps I took towards his office helped to cool me down, and instead, this is what I said:

I don’t know who you think you are, but nobody talks to me like that.  You’ve treated me like a piece of crap since moving here to the east coast, I am not going to take it anymore.  I demand that you call the personnel department and get me transfered out-of-here, or I will!

Or words to that effect.

I walked back across the hall and into my office.

I was trembling with anger, and I needed to quiet my emotions.

But that’s difficult when all I wanted to do was punch this jerk in the mouth!

Nobody is paid enough to endure this type of workplace harassment.  And I had been taking his disgusting remarks and comments for too long.

Later that afternoon, George left the office to go home.

As he passed by my office, he quietly mentioned that he was sorry.

But I remained silent with my back to him.  I was looking in my file drawer to avoid looking at his face.

It took me the rest of that day to calm down.

But I didn’t call personnel.

Instead, I worried all night about what George was going to do to me.

At 6:30 the next morning, I arrived at my office.

I was usually the first person there each day and I had already made a coffee and was reading my emails when I noticed George walking down the hall and into the office.

As he neared my office, our eyes met and this is what George said:

Dan, I want you to know that I didn’t have a good night last night.  I didn’t get much sleep.

And that triggered another emotional outburst from me.

Well, George, I haven’t slept well since I arrived in the Atlantic Region – and all because of you!

He looked at me as though I had been the bully!

But I didn’t feel sorry for him.

And I didn’t stay mad either.

That might sound like a contradiction to some, but it is difficult for me to remain angry at someone or something.

I always end up feeling guilty for hurting someone’s feelings – even if they did me wrong.

In time, my relationship with George improved.  In hindsight, I wished that I had stood up for myself a lot earlier.

When you let someone push you around – you’re actually giving them power over you.

Never give an inch to a bully.

George retired a year or so after that, and his replacement, was Dennis Szechy, a thirty-two-year-old from the head office in Oshawa.

I knew Dennis and liked him a lot.  He was friends with Jake Brogan, another friend of mine who had worked in the GM Moncton Zone Office.

Dennis was one of the best people that I have ever worked for in my life.

Dennis increased my responsibilities by giving me the added responsibility of being the senior accounts manager for ACDelco, which is the GM aftermarket channel.

I now was the sales manager for GM Parts and ACDelco in the Atlantic Region.

I had come a long way since those days as a manufacturer’s agent in the textile industry.

And to think, that I had made a pledge as a teenager, never to work for GM.

But now I was a die-hard company man and enjoyed working with my best friend Bill Macdonald, who was the district manager for ACDelco.

Earlier, Bill and I worked together as district managers and had become best friends.  Bill is like an older brother to me and I learned a lot from him.

I am tempted to write another hundred paragraphs about my life in the Atlantic Region but the almost ten years living there were the best years of my life!

In 1997, I was promoted to become the ACDelco western region sales manager.

We would finally be moving back to Vancouver!

But once again, Annette would be leaving a job she loved as well as the many friends she made at work.

The time spent living on the east coast was among the best times of my life.

But our return to BC was a bit of a shock.

Because the real estate prices had more than tripled since we left in 1989.

BC now stood for ‘Bring Cash!’

The house on Calverhall Street in North Vancouver that we sold for $100,000 in 1989, was now worth about $400,000!

But we had not made any money on either of our houses in the Maritimes.

In fact, we sold them to GM because the company guaranteed we would get back what we had paid for the homes.

But we found a beautiful rancher on a 1/4 acre in Langley, which is a suburb of Vancouver.

This story has taken too long to write and I know that many of you are exhausted from the reading.

So, I have decided to end it here for now.

The story’s purpose was to explain why we were selling our home and going our separate ways.

I will always have fond memories of our times together and I am happy that we have remained friends.

I am not the easiest persons to live with and I have no excuses for any of my sudden outbursts of anger.

Holly and I are searching for a place to rent.

I do not know where I will eventually live.

But as long as Holly’s alive, I will remain in the Lower Mainland, preferably in White Rock.

It’s Friday, February 19th, and today is the first showing of our home.  We have three other viewings scheduled for the weekend.

It wasn’t staged because all we needed to do was get rid of the clutter.

Annette has always had a good eye for decorating.

She’s also quite a good artist.  She painted several of the paintings that are shown in the following photos:

House listed on Feb 17, 2021

Living here since July 1997

House is on 1/4 acre panhandle lot

in Langley, BC

Never got a chance to paint the bottom cupboards - floor used to be white/blue

Seldom used the wood-burning fireplace

Main bathroom


Master bedroom

Ensuite bathroom with shower

Danny's and Holly's room


Listed at $1.15 M

Listing ends on Feb 23rd and then review all offers

Large shed in corner of yard

Home is off the street and very private (and quiet)

I don’t know if I will write any more stories.

I finally got a lot of my past revealed and some of it is probably a surprise to many of my friends.

Life for me has never been easy and I have worked hard all of my life.

I have never kissed anyone’s behind to get ahead and I still have friends that are former employees and customers.

And the most treasured things I have accumulated in life are the love and friendship of friends.

1988 in Maui

And Annette will always remain a dear friend.

Dedicated to Annette

I hope my stories are a gift to your head and heart.



Click on this Index to view my 215+ stories.

Today’s tune from Danny’s library (purchased):

It’s Your World Now – lyrics

A perfect day, the sun is sinkin’ low
As evening falls, the gentle breezes blow
The time we shared, went by so fast
Just like a dream, we knew it couldn’t last
But I’d do it all again
If I could, somehow
I must be leavin’ soon
It’s your world now

It’s your world now
My race is run
I’m moving on
Like the setting sun
No sad goodbyes
No tears allowed
You’ll be alright
It’s your world now

Even when we are apart
You’ll always be in my heart
When dark clouds appear in the sky
Remember, true love never dies

But first a kiss, one glass of wine
Just one more dance, while there’s still time
My one last wish: someday, you’ll see
How hard I tried, and how much you meant to me

It’s your world now
Use well the time
Be part of something good
Leave something good behind
The curtain falls
I take my bow
That’s how it’s meant to be
It’s your world now
It’s your world now
It’s your world now

Songwriters: Jack Tempchin / Glenn Lewis Frey
It’s Your World Now lyrics © Wixen Music Publishing

About Post Author

Daniel (Danny) St. Andrews

An almost famous Film, Television & Stage Actor (as in almost pregnant) living in Vancouver, BC His other passions include cancer patient advocate (he had stage 3 throat cancer), walking with the Vancouver 'Venturers Walking Club, and of course, spoiling his dog, Holly Golightly. If you like the stuff he writes about - please leave a hug (or a comment).
0 %
0 %
0 %
0 %
0 %
0 %

By Daniel (Danny) St. Andrews

An almost famous Film, Television & Stage Actor (as in almost pregnant) living in Vancouver, BC His other passions include cancer patient advocate (he had stage 3 throat cancer), walking with the Vancouver 'Venturers Walking Club, and of course, spoiling his dog, Holly Golightly. If you like the stuff he writes about - please leave a hug (or a comment).

Average Rating

5 Star
4 Star
3 Star
2 Star
1 Star

4 thoughts on “A Last Goodbye

  1. Danny I am hooked on your journal entries. I feel like a voyeur standing inside your soul. Thank you for allowing me to be there.
    Friends forever,
    Fellow dog lover from the cancer clinic,

    1. Thank you, Joy, for the kind words. I am happy that you liked my posts. I am also happy that I’ve gotten to know your care dogs over the years. You bring so much ‘joy’ to the many patients at the cancer center, Surrey Memorial Hospital, and palliative care facilities. Hugs, Danny and Holly Golightly

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.