Doctors, Dogs, and Veterinarians

Holly at 4 months
0 0
Read Time6 Minute, 43 Second

I went for my physical exam yesterday, and I really like my new doctor.

She weighed me, and I was 152 lbs.

I cannot remember ever weighing less than 165 lbs.

That was when I was in high school.

The doctor spent a lot of time with me, and her interview was in-depth.

She has scheduled me for several tests, and I will have to fast for eight hours before going to the lab for the blood tests and urine sample.

When I got home, I let Holly outside to go potty, checked my computer for the location of LifeLabs in White Rock, and made an appointment for the next day.

The earliest appointment that I could get was at 12:45 pm the next day (Thursday).

The last thing I had to eat was a bowl of soup at 6:00 pm yesterday.

Today, I woke up at 3:00 am and was concerned that I had a long wait for my appointment at 12:45 pm, and I would not have any coffee or food after 5:00 am because of the eight-hour fasting period.

But I cannot start a day without coffee.

So, I decided to stay up and then drive to the LifeLabs facility in Langley.

That facility opens at 6:30 am and accepts walk-ins.

I arrived at Langley LifeLabs at 7:00 am and stood in line.

When I got into the waiting room area, I noticed a sign that stated Appointments only.

But I did not drive all that way for nothing, so I decided to take my chances, and I remained in the lineup.

Who knows, maybe I look like one of the staff member’s grandfathers.  Or great grandfather.

When I finally approached the counter, I explained to the lady that I had driven from White Rock but did not have an appointment.

The lady looked up at me and smiled.

She explained the new procedure but said they would make an exception for me and instructed me to take a seat in the waiting room.

I only had to wait for about twenty minutes and then had the blood samples taken.

They also needed me to provide a urine sample, but I did not need to pee, so I asked if I could squeeze a sample from the Depends diaper I was wearing?

Just kidding!

So, I did that, and a few minutes later, I was on my way back home.

But I stopped at the Tim Horton’s a block away to get a large latte for the drive.

I do not know why I am losing so much weight, but hopefully, the tests will reveal why.


Today, I took Holly to the new vet.

Not the first vet that I took her to in White Rock when we first moved here in April.

And not the second vet who I began taking Holly to a few weeks ago, either.

Both of those vets appeared to be more interested in creating an endless revenue stream by suggesting additional services that Holly may or may not have needed.

Between them, I spent almost $2,000 dealing with her diarrhea and loss of appetite!

But recently, Holly needed her Cushing Disease prescription refilled.

So, I Googled the White Rock area for another vet hospital.

There was one that was in South Surrey, so I gave them a call.

The receptionist was very friendly and helpful and gave me an appointment for today at 3:30 pm.

Holly and I had just arrived at the new vet office and had sat down in the waiting room when suddenly the door flew open, and a furious man stormed into the office and demanded them to bring him his dog.

And then the screaming and swearing started, with a lady pleading for the angry man not to punch the vet!

I got up to see the lady (probably his wife) holding him back with both arms and crying and pleading with him not to hurt the vet.

The receptionist asked me to bring Holly, and she led us to an examination room and closed the door.

The angry man continued swearing – his temper was extreme, and he did not show signs of calming down.

And I could hear the sobbing of a distraught lady in the other room.

She continued crying for several minutes.

Now I was concerned.

Had I brought Holly to another bad choice for a vet hospital?

But we waited patiently, and after all the noise died down – it became hushed in the office.

I was almost expecting to hear the main door opening and the angry man returning with a shotgun.

But when the examination room door opened, it was the vet.

I wanted to ask him what had happened but knew that it was none of my business.

We discussed Holly’s Cushing Disease, and the vet agreed to order the refill, which he said might take a day or two before it came in.

I thanked the vet and walked outside with Holly, and noticed several people gathered around on the sidewalk.

Two of the ladies were crying, and a couple of men, including the angry man, stood silently, nearby.

When I got into my vehicle, I noticed that one of the men was staring at Holly and me.

He appeared to be about my age, so I nodded for him to come to my vehicle.

I asked what had happened to make the other man so angry?

The man said it was his son.

He explained that the son’s wife had brought the dog to the vet to be neutered, but the pup died on the operating table.

The older man was having difficulty trying not to show his emotions, but I could see by his eyes that he had been crying.

Life can be so cruel, I thought.

I gave him my condolences and drove away.


Norm called me to see if we are going to meet tomorrow.

We have been meeting for coffee every Friday for at least 10 years, and we have been calling each other every Thursday for as long, to confirm the Friday get-together.

But now, instead of having coffee and then going for our walk on the Promenade – we are going for our walk before having coffee.

We always have lots to talk about, and with Norm, there are always lots to laugh at.

Both of the Norms I know (one lives in Bellingham, WA) have an excellent sense of humor, and I have to think about what they are saying to make sure that they aren’t pulling my leg.

I hope that you and yours are well and enjoying the last few days of Summer.

Dedicated to my Holly Golightly

I hope my stories are a gift to your head and heart.



Click on this Index to view my 240+ stories.

Today’s tune from Danny’s library (purchased):

Reconsider Me – lyrics

Hello baby, yes it’s really me
After all the wrong I’ve done
I guess you’re surprised to see me…
Here at your door
Like a sparrow with a broken wing
Who’s come back to beg you, oh, reconsider me
Oh, please reconsider me
I can’t make it without your love, can’t you see?
Well, let me, just let me love you, eternally
Oh baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, reconsider me

I learned the truth about the so-called good life
It was just a candle too short to burn the night
Now, there’s a darkness in my heart
Don’t you know I bring you a plea?
Oh, light my way again, light my way again…
And girl, reconsider me
Oh, please reconsider me
I can’t make it, I can’t make it, without you girl, can’t you see?
So, just let me, let me, let me love you eternally
Oh, baby, baby, oh baby, reconsider me…
Ah, baby, baby, baby…

Songwriters: Margaret Lewis / Mira Smith
Reconsider Me lyrics © Ragged Island Music Warwick Production, Inc

About Post Author

Daniel (Danny) St. Andrews

An almost famous Film, Television & Stage Actor (as in almost pregnant) living in Vancouver, BC His other passions include cancer patient advocate (he had stage 3 throat cancer), walking with the Vancouver 'Venturers Walking Club, and of course, spoiling his dog, Holly Golightly. If you like the stuff he writes about - please leave a hug (or a comment).
0 %
0 %
0 %
0 %
0 %
0 %

By Daniel (Danny) St. Andrews

An almost famous Film, Television & Stage Actor (as in almost pregnant) living in Vancouver, BC His other passions include cancer patient advocate (he had stage 3 throat cancer), walking with the Vancouver 'Venturers Walking Club, and of course, spoiling his dog, Holly Golightly. If you like the stuff he writes about - please leave a hug (or a comment).

Average Rating

5 Star
4 Star
3 Star
2 Star
1 Star

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.